We all have things we need to unlearn about money. Suffering is virtuous, life is hard, you’re a victim; these are just some of the beliefs that you might not even be aware that you have!
The journey of moving from a mindset of scarcity to abundance is one that Emily and Sarah took together, commemorated over a lobster dinner, matching popsicle tattoos, and shopping for expensive lingerie.
During today’s conversation, we unpack the unconscious beliefs around money that originated in our childhoods, and the feelings of poverty and panic that informed our approach to our financial lives in adulthood.
We touch on how having children can be a catalyst for fixing a scarcity mindset, and talk about why the work of feeling worthy must start from within.
Our hope for you is that money will become a positive force in your life, rather than a source of fear and resentment, and that looks different for everyone! We hope you learn from our stories today.
The next episode on Unlearning Beliefs Around Sex can be found on our Patreon – Click here.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The conversation that Sarah had with a previous partner which changed her views on money.
- A problematic and commonly held belief that having money is a bad thing.
- Why an outside observation can be useful in identifying the things you need to change.
- Where Sarah’s belief that she shouldn’t spend money on herself originated.
- Thinking about whether something is a ‘need’ or a ‘want.’
- Emily talks about how she grew up in poverty and panic.
- How Emily’s parents’ relationship with the church shaped her views on money.
- The panic attack brought on by a grocery bill.
- How having a child helped Emily to break away from the scarcity mindset she had adopted, and embrace an abundance mindset instead.
- Emily shares the experience which made her internalize the belief that money hurts the people she loves.
- The continuous journey of developing self-worth that Emily is on.
- Challenges that Emily and her husband faced when they had children.
- How money is connected to pride.
- Finding balance between being driven and placing your worth in financial success.
- Value in knowing what scarcity feels like in your body.
- Why it’s not a good idea to make a decision when you are having a scarcity moment.
- 2019; our year of practicing abundance.
- The popsicle story, and the profound impact of this experience.
- Our paradigm-shifting shopping trip, and the tattoos that we got at the end of it.
- Undoing your belief and seeing where you are perpetuating scarcity in your life.
- What we believe abundance should mean in relation to money.
- Why it’s so important to understand the moments that have shaped your relationship with money.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: